Matthew Flinders MemorialPrint Page
The Flinders’ Memorial commemorates the landing and naming of Redcliffe by Matthew Finders in 1799. The area was first visited by Matthew Flinders in July 1799. He spent 15 days in Moreton Bay, landed and named Red Cliff Point on 17 July.
|Address:||75 Anzac Avenue, Redcliffe Museum, Redcliffe, 4020|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.230502|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Lieutenant Matthew Flinders ,
in the sloop Norfolk , was the
first English explorer to sail
into Moreton Bay.
On 17 July 1799 he landed
at Woody Point and named
the area Red cliff Point, after
the iron-rich red soil cliffs
that were visible from the water.