www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Captain Patrick Logan Print Page Print this page

Captain Logan
Captain Logan

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

A monument commemorates Captain Patrick Logan who camped west of the spot in 1828.

Captain Patrick Logan (1791 – October 1830) was the commandant of the Moreton Bay penal colony from 1826 until his death in 1830. 

He also systematically explored South East Queensland. He discovered the southern entrance to Moreton Bay, now known as the Gold Coast Broadwater. He named the McPherson Range, Birnam Range, Teviot Brook and Wilsons Peak. 

Logan was the first European explorer to visit the upper reaches of the Brisbane River and other places in the vicinity including the areas now known as Esk and the mountain rainforests of Lamington Nation Park and Mount Barney National Park. He was the first European to explore the Bremer River  where he discovered deposits of limestone at a point later to become known as Ipswich. 

Captain Logan unsuccessfully attempted to climb Mount Barney on the 13 and 14 June 1827. On a return journey Logan, Alan Cunningham and a small party attempted to ascend the peak, believing they were climbing Mount Warning, which was first identified by James Cook  A determined Logan carried on while the rest were too fearful of the hazardous and difficult climb. For atop the summit, which was at the time the highest point reached by a white man in Australia, Logan was able to see the true Mount Warning. 

Location

Address:Mount Lindesay Highway, Gleneagle, 4285
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.9325
Long: 152.980833
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Exploration
Actual Event STart Date:28-July-1828
Actual Event End Date:03-August-1828

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1991
Front Inscription

Captain Patrick Logan 

Commandant of Moreton Bay Penal Settlement
1826 - 1830

While exploring the Logan Valley, he crossed the river (which bears his name) due west of this point on July 28 1828

On the 3rd August 1828 he was the first man to climb Mt Barney (the source of this river)

Erected by the Historical Society of Beaudesert Inc. 1991.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Adventure
Adventure
Architecture
Architecture
Arts
Arts
Aviation
Aviation
Community
Community
Crime
Crime
Exploration
Exploration
Education
Education
Foreigners
Foreigners
Government-Colonial
Government-Colonial
Government - Federal
Government - Federal
Government - Local
Government - Local
Government - State
Government - State
Humanitarian
Humanitarian
Indigenous
Indigenous
Industry
Industry
Legal
Legal
Medicine
Medicine
Military
Military
Religion
Religion
Science
Science
Settlement
Settlement
Sport
Sport
Tragedy
Tragedy
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design