www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Major MitchellPrint Page Print this page

Major Mitchell Clock
Major Mitchell Clock

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

Memorial Clock honours Major Mitchell who explored the area and commemorates the centenary of the discovery of the site where Blackall now stands. Mitchell named the river the Barcoo and mapped the district enabling the establishment of the sheep industry.

On September 19 the people of Blackall and district will commemorate the centenary of Sir Thomas Mitchell's discovery of the site of their town, and the opening up of the rich pastoral lands of Central Queensland to general settlement. The occasion will be suitably celebrated, the unveiling of the memorial clock tower in Blackall being the most important event. There will be a procession of floats depicting the district's history from the time it was discovered, up to the present day, and events of the great explorer's epoch-making expedition will be re-enacted. The Royal Geographical Society of Australasia (Queensland) has arranged for specially designated centenary envelopes bearing the Sir Thomas Mitchell stamp to be posted in Blackall on the day of the centenary bearing the centenary postmark. 
Queensland Country Life (Qld) 5 September 1946.

Location

Address:Shamrock Street, Blackall, 4472
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -24.424218
Long: 145.464455
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Discovery
Approx. Event Start Date:1846
Approx. Event End Date:1946

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 19th September, 1946
Front Inscription

TO COMMEMORATE THE CENTENARY
OF THE DISCOVERY ON 19 SEPTEMBER 1846
OF THE SITE WHEREON THE TOWNSHIP OF
           BLACKALL NOW STANDS
BY LT.COL. SIR THOMAS MITCHELL D.C.L (OXON) .
SURVEYOR GENERAL, SAVANT AND EXPLORER
WITH GRAHAM, DOUGLAS AND YURANIGH AN ABORIGINE
THEIR WORK OPENED UP THE PASTORAL LANDS OF
CENTRAL QUEENSLAND FOR GENERAL SETTLEMENT. |
      UNVEILED 19 SEPTEMBER 1946. 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design