William LandsboroughPrint Page
Memorial to William Landsborough, explorer.
William Landsborough explored the Aramac district in 1859 in his first expedition. Discovering a creek, which flowed south-west into the Thomson River, he named it Aramac, after a former pastoralist, Robert Ramsay Mackenzie (hence 'R. R. Mack'), who was also Queensland's first colonial treasurer and future Premier.
|Address:||Barcaldine-Aramac Road, Aramac, 4726|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -22.978382|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
WILLIAM LANDSBOROUGH MARKED A
COOLABAH TREE AT THE END OF THIS
WATER HOLE WITH "L 1860" AND
NAMED THE CREEK ARAMACK CREEK.
THE TOWN INITIALLY WENT UNDER THE
NAME OF MARATHON BUT WAS
CHANGED TO ARAMAC IN 1875.