John McDouall StuartPrint Page
A tree commemorates the explorer John McDouall Stuart. A plaque was added to the tree by N.T. Force in 1944.
The tiny settlement was named by Stuart during his epic attempt to cross Australia from south to north in 1861-2. By 1862 Stuart had already made two attempts to cross the continent. His first, in 1860, had reached Tennant Creek. The second, in early 1861, pushed further north but again Stuart was forced back. The third journey, which headed out from Adelaide in October 1861 reached the centre in March, 1862. Stuart pushed north making slow progress.
He finally arrived at Daly Waters on 28 May having forced their way through difficult lacewood scrub and harsh terrain at a rate of a little over a kilometre a day. Stuart named the springs after the new Governor of South Australia, Sir Dominick Daly. This journey was successful. Stuart reached the northern coast near modern day Darwin on 24 July, 1862.
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -16.258889|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1944|
The explorer John McDouall Stuart is presumed to have carved the initial `S` on this tree on 23rd May 1862 during his successful journey from Adelaide to Darwin 1861-62.
Erected by N. T. Force 1944