Captain Charles FremantlePrint Page
A monument commemorates Captain Charles Fremantle who landed in Fremantle in May 1829.
Fremantle was Captain of HMS Challenger and was despatched by the Admiralty from the Cape of Good Hope on 20 March 1829. He anchored in Cockburn Sound on 2 May and landed on Garden Island. One week later, he hoisted the British flag on the south head of the mouth of the Swan River and took formal possession in the name of His Majesty King George IV of `all that part of New Holland (Australia) which is not included within the territory of New South Wales`.
The original memorial was designed by Roderick Browton, who is a community artist. It was originally erected on Marine Terrace, in the Esplanade Reserve, close to the railway line looking down Mouat Street, to form a focal point for the Foundation Day ceremony. There was a demountable flag staff incorporated into the plinth. In 1991 the memorial was damaged and later re-erected on the present site in 2003. Roderick Bowton sculpted another statue at the Stirling Naval base on Garden Island.
|Address:||Stirling Highway , Opposite McCabe Street, North Fremantle , 6159|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.021658|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||02-May-1829|
|Actual Event End Date:||02-May-1829|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2003|
A Place Of
A Place Of