Matthew FlindersPrint Page
Obelisk erected by his nephew Sir John Franklin, who was a midshipman in Investigator when Flinders discovered Port Lincoln in 1802, commemorates Matthew Flinders.
The builder was Samuel Lewis who also built Light`s monument. The building stone was brought from Tasmania and a team of bullocks and sledge were used to haul the materials to the site. The obelisk was restored and faced with marble in 1867. The original marble inscription is now in the Adelaide Museum. The bronze plate on the obelisk was unveiled in 1934.
On March 8 the Governor will unveil a bronze plate in the obelisk at the top of Stamford Hill. It was from there that Matthew Flinders made the first survey of Port Lincoln Harbour.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 23 February 1934.
|Address:||Via Proper Bay Road, Lincoln National Park, Stamford Hill, Port Lincoln, 5606|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.764441|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Samuel Lewis|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1844|
This place from which the Gulf and its shores were first surveyed on 26. Feb. 1802 by Matthew Flinders, R. N. Commander by H.M.S. Investigator the discoverer of the country now called South Australia was set apart on 12. Jan. 1841 with the sanction of Lt. Col. Gawler, K.H. then Governor of the colony and in the first year of the Government of Capt. G. Grey, adorned with this monument to the perpetual memory of the illustrious navigator his honored commander by John Franklin, Capt. R. N. K.C.H. K.R. Lt. Governor of Van Diemen`s Land.
Original marble table in S.A. Museum.
This plate, publicly subscribed, was unveiled by Sir Alexr Hore-Ruthven, V.C., K.C.M.G. C.B. D.S.O. Governor of S.A. 8 March 1934