Charles SturtPrint Page
A monument commemorates Captain Charles Sturt and his exploration of the River Murray. It was unveiled in the centenary year of Sturt`s exploration.
The white stone cairn erected by the Loxton District Council to the memory of Sturt is well situated on a rise on the side of the drive from the main street down to the river bank. It overlooks a broad expanse of river and hundreds of noble gums. A better site could not possibly have been chosen, in this writer's opinion. When times grow better improvements to the drive will assuredly take place and Loxton will be proud of her efforts to perpetuate the memory of a great man. On the memorial is a plate inscribed with these words: "On January 30, 1830, Captain Charles Sturt and his heroic men rowed down stream past this spot on their great journey of discovery."
In passing it might be mentioned that the Loxton Council, when the matter of a cairn was brought up, looked at the proposal in a broad light. They realized that times were not propitious for expending any money that could possibly be saved but councillors took the view that it would be a standing reproach to the district if some memento of their gratitude to and esteem of Sturt were not erected.
Murray Pioneer and Australian River Record (Renmark, SA), 17 January 1930.
|Address:||East Terrace & Mayfield Street, Loxton, 5333|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.448469|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||30-January-1830|
|Actual Event End Date:||30-January-1830|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Thursday 16th January, 1930|
On 30th January 1830 Captain Charles Sturt and his heroic band rowed downstream past this spot on their great journey of discovery