Matthew FlindersPrint Page
Stone Obelisk commemorates the explorer Matthew Flinders. It was at this point that Matthew Flinders made his first survey of Port Lincoln Harbour. An inscription plaque was added to the memorial in 1934.
In February 1802, Captain Matthew Flinders in his ship Investigator was hard at work charting the coast of South Australia. The ship was charting the whole Southern Australian coastline from west to east. Flinders found the entrance to a large gulf which he named Spencer's Gulf after Earl Spencer, First Lord of the Admiralty in Britain.
On March 8 the Governor will unveil a bronze plate in the obelisk at the top of Stamford Hill. It was from there that Matthew Flinders made the first survey of Port Lincoln Harbour.
The Advertiser (Adelaide), 23 February 1928.
|Address:||Stamford Hill, Lincoln National Park, 5607|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.770322|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1841|
FROM WHICH THE GULF AND ITS
SHORES WERE FIRST SURVEYED
ON 26.FEB.1802 BY
MATTHEW FLINDERS R.N.
COMMANDER OF H.M.S. INVESTIGATOR
THE DISCOVERER OF THE COUNTRY
NOW CALLED SOUTH AUSTRALIA
WAS SET APART
ON 12 JAN.1841
WITH THE SANCTION OF
THEN GOVERNOR OF THE COLONY
AND IN THE FIRST YEAR OF THE
GOVERNMENT OF CAPT.G.GREY
ADORNED WITH THIS MONUMENT
TO THE PERPETUAL MEMORY
OF THE ILLUSTRIOUS NAVIGATOR
HIS HONOURED COMMANDER
JOHN FRANKLIN CAPT. R.N.
LT GOVERNOR OF
VAN DIEMENS LAND
This plate, publicly subscribed, was unveiled by
Sir Alexander Hore - Ruthven V.C., G.C.M.G., C.B., D.S.O.,
Governor of S.A. 8. March 1934.