Sir Douglas MawsonPrint Page Print this page

Sir Douglas Mawson
Sir Douglas Mawson

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

Bust commemorates the Antarctic explorer, Sir Douglas Mawson.

In 1905 Mawson was appointed lecturer in mineralogy and petrology in the University of Adelaide. He immediately became interested in the glacial geology of South Australia. Also, continuing his interest in radioactivity, he identified and first described the mineral davidite, containing titanium and uranium, in specimens from the region now known as Radium Hill. That deposit was the first major radioactive ore body discovered in Australia. The major work of his early South Australian period was his investigation of the highly mineralized Precambrian rocks of the Barrier Range, extending from the northern Flinders Ranges through Broken Hill, New South Wales.

In November 1907 (Sir) Ernest Shackleton, leader of the British Antarctic Expedition, visited Adelaide on his way south. Mawson approached him with a view to making the round trip to Antarctica on the Nimrod. His idea was to see an existing continental ice-cap and to become acquainted with glaciation and its geological consequences. Shackleton appointed him physicist for the duration of the expedition and this began his long association with the Antarctic.


Address:North Terrace, Prince Henry Gardens, Adelaide, 5000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.921208
Long: 138.603491
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 16th August, 1982
Front Inscription

Sir Douglas Mawson
O.B.E. B.E. D.Sc. F.R.S. F.A.A.
1882 1958
Professor of
Geology and Mineralogy.
Antarctic Scientist and Explorer.

Erected by public subscription
and unveiled by the
Rt. Hon. The Lord Mayor,
Dr. John Watson.
16th August, 1982.
Sculptor John Dowie, A.M.

Source: MA,ADB
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design