Captain James Cook Pillar MarkerPrint Page
Head of a pillar from the original parish church of Marton-in-Cleveland, Yorkshire where Cook was baptised was presented by the parish to the State of Victoria in 1970, as part of commemorations of the Bicentenary of Cook's explorations of the east coast of Australia.
|Address:||Wellington Parade, Fitzroy Gardens, Captain Cook Cottage, East Melbourne, 3002|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.814424|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1770|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1970|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1970|
"THIS HEAD OF A PILLAR IS FROM
THE ORIGINAL PARISH CHURCH OF
WHERE ON 2ND NOVEMBER 1728,
'JAMES, YE SON OF JAMES COOK,
LABOURER', WAS BAPTISED.
IT WAS PRESENTED BY THAT PARISH
COUNCIL TO THE STATE OF VICTORIA