Captain James CookPrint Page
First memorial erected in Australia to Captain James Cook was instigated by John Emery, a Bendigo merchant who left 1000 pounds in his will for the erection of the monument.
The bronze cast of Captain Cook, which was executed in London by the young Bendigo sculptor, Mr John Walker, under commission from the executors in the Emery Estate, has arrived in Bendigo, and the contractor for its erection Mr. J.Robinson, of Melbourne, expects to have it in position by today. The cast will be mounted on a pedestal composed of Moorabool free stone obtained from Geelong. Unfortunately the place chosen for the statue is not perhaps the best. It stands in the church grounds midway between St. Paul's church and Sunday School. This is in conformity with a stipulation made by the late Mr. Emery when bequeathing the sum of £500 towards the erection of a tribute to the memory of the famous navigator. St. Paul's vestry will meet during the week to determine when the unveiling ceremony shall take place.
Bendigo Advertiser (Vic), 10 October 1906.
|Address:||Myers Street, St. Paul`s Church of England, Bendigo, 3550|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.762026|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Mr John Walker (Sculptor)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1906|
Erected in 1906 in memory of Capt. James Cook, the celebrated navigator. By bequest of John Emery, a vestryman of St Paul`s Church, Bendigo