John OxleyPrint Page
Oxley`s Anchor with a tribute inscription to Surveyor-General and explorer John Oxley at Kirkham where the explorer died. The anchor came the from the destroyer the Tomahawk.
John Oxley received two properties in the Camden area from Governor Macquarie naming them Kirkham and Elderslie.
Three anchors presented by the British Admiralty and brought to Australia on H.M.A.S. Canberra to serve as memorials to Surveyor-General John Oxley, R.N., are belng forwarded to their destinations. One anchor, from the destroyer Tenacious, is to be sent to Wellington, where Oxley heard of the victory at Waterloo. A second anchor, from the minesweeper Ford, will go to Harrington, to mark the spot where Oxley crossed the Manning River. The third anchor is from the destroyer Tomahawk, and will go to Kirkham, near Camden, where the explorer died.
The Sydney Morning Herald, 7th March 1929.
|Address:||Kirkham Lane, Kirkham, 2570|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.03426|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1929|
LIEUTENANT JOHN OXLEY R.N.
PIONEER, EXPLORER AND SURVEYOR GENERAL
OF NEW SOUTH WALES
THIS NAVAL ANCHOR MARKS THE SITE OF
THE HOME AND ORIGINAL GRANT OF 1812
TO JOHN OXLEY R..N.