www.monumentaustralia.org.au

William Romaine Govett Print Page Print this page

16-November-2015
16-November-2015

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams
An obelisk commemorates William Romaine Govett, assistant surveyor, the first European to discover Govett's Leap in 1831.

The story about the bushranger Govett riding his horse over Govett's Leap, to certain death, rather than be captured by the pursuing police, will no longer cause gasps of amazement to come from tourists. The Leap is named after William Romaine Govett, assistant surveyor, who first discovered it in the year 1831. An obelisk to his memory, was unveiled at Blackheath on Saturday, by the Minister for Lands (Hon. Colin. A. Sinclair, M.L.A.), who was accompanied by Mr. J. J. Jackson, M.L.A., and Mr. S. F. Allman (under-secretary). Over 100 people were present amongst them being noted the president of the Shire Council (Cr. W. P. Mathews), Cr. Legge, the Mayor of Blackheath (Ald. W. S. Cripps), Aldermen Tucker, Godsell, Bradshaw and the town clerk (Mr. S. J. Dunkley), Messrs. S. C. Rose, I. P. Slack, C. Cripps, Beach, Scandritt, Luchetti, G. Phillips, Oldman, C. C. Kean, and Rev. W. P. Dorph.  The Minister arrived in the morning, and after a civic reception, he was entertained at dinner by the Mayor. 

The Minister said the obelisk he was to unveil was a fitting memorial to men of such indomitable pluck as Surveyor Govett. The Government was determined, as far as possible, to develop all areas of the Mountains. Mr. J. J. Jackson supported the Minister's remarks, stating that Govett was the first white man to look over the gorge. The Minister then unveiled the obelisk, which stands nearly six feet high, and is built of stones from the valley. The work was carried out by the two rangers (Messrs. Len Cullen and "Mick" Boyd). There are two marble tablets built into the obelisk, with the following inscriptions: "This fall of water was named Govett's Leap from the circumstance of William Romaine Govett, assistant, surveyor, first having come upon the spot in June, 1831. Blackheath Reserves Trust, 1938." Underneath is the following inscription: "Unveiled by Colin A. Sinclair. Minister for Lands, September 3, 1938."
Katoomba Daily (NSW),  8 September 1938.

Location

Address:Govetts Leap Road, Govetts Leap Lookout, Blackheath , 2875
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.627975
Long: 150.311497
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Government - Local
Approx. Event Start Date:June-1831
Approx. Event End Date:June-1831

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 3rd September, 1938
Front Inscription

The fall of water was named Govett`s Leap from the assistance of William Romaine Govett, Assistant Surveyor "first having come upon tthe spot" in June 1831.

Blackheath Reserves Trust,
1938

Plaque : 

Unveiled by the Hon. Colin A. Sinclair Minister for Lands 
Sep. 3, 1938.

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Adventure
Adventure
Architecture
Architecture
Arts
Arts
Aviation
Aviation
Community
Community
Crime
Crime
Exploration
Exploration
Education
Education
Foreigners
Foreigners
Government-Colonial
Government-Colonial
Government - Federal
Government - Federal
Government - Local
Government - Local
Government - State
Government - State
Humanitarian
Humanitarian
Indigenous
Indigenous
Industry
Industry
Legal
Legal
Medicine
Medicine
Military
Military
Religion
Religion
Science
Science
Settlement
Settlement
Sport
Sport
Tragedy
Tragedy
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design