Francis Thomas GregoryPrint Page
On Sunday July 1 at Hearson Cove, members of the Dampier Lions Club led by the Curator of History of the Western Australian Museum, David Hutchinson, will endeavour to locate the site of the base camp for the first land exploration of the North-West. The first expedition led by F.T. Gregory established a base camp at Hearson Cove in late May of 1861. From this point, land expeditions carried out their explorations lasting some 8 months, travelling inland to Mount Turner near Tom Price and east to Roebuck Bay. The expedition hopes to find relics left by the first party. The Dampier Lions Club will build a barbecue at the cove in corporating a plaque to commemorate the first landing. In the next issue of Hamer sley News we will publish a full account of the efforts to locate the base camp.
Hamersley News (Perth), 28 June 1973.
|Address:||Hearson Cove Road , Hearson Cove, Burrup Peninsula, Dampier, 6713|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -20.634218|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1978|
FRANCIS THOMAS GREGORY, EXPLORER
F.T.GREGORY AND HIS PARTY LANDED HERE
FROM THE BARQUE DOLPHIN ON MAY 13, 1861.
ALTHOUGH THE OBJECT OF THE EXPEDITION
WAS TO ASSESS THE SUITABILITY OF THE
AREA FOR THE CULTIVATION OF COTTON,
GREGORY`S REPORT LED TO THE ESTABLISHMENT
OF THE NORTH - WEST PASTORAL INDUSTRY.
The Lions Club of Dampier And
The Royal Western Australian Historical Society — 1978