www.monumentaustralia.org.au

William NowlandPrint Page Print this page

14-November-2014
14-November-2014

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers
A plaque on a grave commemorates William Nowland who explored and cleared the first track over the Liverpool Range at Murrurundi.

Four members of the Nowland family were amongst the earliest white settlers in the Upper Hunter area. The three brothers - William, Henry and Edward - went there in the early 1830’s.  William Nowland took up the grants initially made out to his brothers in the Camberwell area, and established his property called “Rosedale” there. It comprised fifteen hundred acres, and it was then known as Falbrook. He established a hotel there too - the Queen Victoria Inn - and had brother-in-law Alexander Johnston run it during his absences. 

He is the best known of the Nowland Brothers, as he discovered a pass over the Liverpool Ranges, north of Murrurundi in 1827, along the route which is used today. It took him 6 months to do this as he’d had to hide from marauding Aboriginals, escaped convicts (turned bushrangers), and battle the elements. He took a dray and cattle across, with the help of his convict stockmen, and the route is signposted as Nowland’s Pass today. He died in 1884, and is buried at St Clements, Camberwell.

Location

Address:Glennie Creek Road, St. Clement`s Church, Camberwell, 2330
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.472404
Long: 151.085083
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Discovery
Approx. Event Start Date:1827
Approx. Event End Date:1827

Dedication

Front Inscription
A Tribute To
The Late WILLIAM NOWLAND
Of Camberwell
Who In 1827 Explored And Cleared
The First Accessible Track Over The
Liverpool Range At Murrurundi.
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design