Francis MacCabePrint Page
A monument commemorates the 150th anniversary the arrival of Francis Peter MacCabe, an explorer and surveyor in June 1853.
Francis Peter MacCabe (1817-1897) was a surveyor in the colony of New South Wales in the 19th century. He surveyed and mapped the lower reaches of the Murrumbidgee, Darling, and Murray Rivers in New South Wales. MacCabe also explored and surveyed the Port Curtis district around what is now Gladstone in Queensland, at the request of Sir Thomas Mitchell. This survey took a total of 27 months from June 1853.
|Address:||Friend Street, Friend Park, Barney Point, Gladstone, 4680|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.84919|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 22nd June, 2003|
Plaque 1 :
ABOUT THIS SITE
FRANCIS PETER MacCABE
Arrived With 16 Other Men In The Ship The Queen Of The South On 18th June, 1853. This Heralded The Opening Up Of The Gladstone District For Settlement.
During A Period Of 27 Months He Surveyed The Town Of Gladstone And A Number Of "Cultivation" Allotments At Police Creek And East Stowe (Near Calliope).
He Went Further On To Explore The Surrounding District Establishing The Links Between Rosedale In The South And Raglan In The North And Across To Rannes In The West.
During His Explorations MacCabe Named A Large Waterway North Of Gladstone The Liffey River. It Was Later Renamed Calliope River By Governor Sir Charles Fitzroy To Commemorate His Visit In 1854.
The Topographical Surveys Completed By MacCabe Followed The Coastline And The Boyne And Liffey Rivers For A Distance Of Approximately 30 Kilometres Inland.
In Recognition Of The Local People, A Number Of The Streets Were Given Aboriginal Names.
A Project Of The Gladstone City Council, Local Surveyors And The Gladstone Maritime Museum.
Plaque 2 :
Unveiled on 22nd June, 2003 by
His Worship the Mayor of Gladstone
Cr PETER CORONES
In the presence of
Mr MICHAEL MacCABE - Grandson
To commemorate the
150th anniversary of his arrival.
A project of The Gladstone City Council
with assistance of The Local Surveyors and
The Gladstone Maritime Museum