Ludwig LeichhardtPrint Page
A monument commemorates explorer Ludwig Leichhardt.
Friedrich Wilhelm Ludwig Leichhardt, known as Ludwig Leichhardt, (23 October 1813 - c.1848) was a Prussian explorer and naturalist most famous for his exploration of northern and central Australia. On 14 February 1842 Leichhardt arrived in Sydney, Australia. His aim was to explore inland Australia and he was hopeful of a government appointment in his fields of interest. In September 1842 Leichhardt went to the Hunter River valley north of Sydney to study the geology, flora and fauna of the region, and to observe farming methods. He then set out on his own on a specimen-collecting journey that took him from Newcastle, New South Wales, to Moreton Bay in Queensland.
After returning to Sydney early in 1844, Leichhardt hoped to take part in a proposed government-sponsored expedition from Moreton Bay to Port Essington (300 km north of Darwin, Northern Territory). When plans for this expedition fell through Leichhardt decided to mount the expedition himself, accompanied by volunteers and supported by private funding. His party left Sydney in August 1844 to sail to Moreton Bay, where four more joined the group. The expedition departed on 1 October 1844 from Jimbour, the farthest outpost of settlement on the Queensland Darling Downs.
After a nearly 4,800 kilometres overland journey, and having long been given up for dead, Leichhardt arrived in Port Essington on 17 December 1845. He returned to Sydney by boat, arriving on 25 March 1846 to a hero's welcome. In 1848 Leichhardt again set out from the Condamine River to reach the Swan River. The expedition consisted of Leichhardt, four Europeans, two Aboriginal guides, seven horses, 20 mules and 50 bullocks. He was last seen on 3 April 1848 at McPherson's Station, Coogoon, on the Darling Downs. His disappearance after moving inland, although investigated by many, remains a mystery.
|Address:||Kilcoy-Beerwah Road, Cruice Park , Woodford, 4514|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.927999|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th October, 2013|
THE LEICHHARDT MEMORIAL
Friedrich Wilhelm Ludwig Leichhardt, Naturalist, Explorer, was born at Trebatsch in Prussia in 1813 and arrived in Australia in 1842. In June, 1843, Leichhardt travelled overland to Moreton Bay. Here, he made friends with the Archer Brotherss and travelled to their homestead "Durundur" which was located just north of this Park.
This he used as a base for journeys throughout South-East Queensland throughout late 1843 and the early months of 1844. The earlier route to the Gympie Goldfields passed through Durundur Station.
The erection of this monument is the result of a generous donation from Mr Douglas Jolly of Brisbane.