Dawes FamilyPrint Page Print this page

Peter Dawes Park
Peter Dawes Park

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

Peter Dawes Park was named in honour of the Dawes family who gave the land as a contribution to the community.

Mr and Mrs Dawes were the original owners of the Julia Creek newsagency built by them in 1948.  


Address:Burke Street (Flinders Highway), Peter Dawes Park, Julia Creek, 4823
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -20.657047
Long: 141.745104
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Park
Monument Theme:People


Front Inscription

Peter Dawes Park

Inscription in Proximity

3. Peter Dawes Park

This allotment was selected at this present site as the Dawes family contribution to the community and was named by the McKinlay Shire Council in their honour. Mr and Mrs Dawes were the original owners of the Julia Creek Newsagency, built by them in 1948 still situated across the road. In the 1940s part of this area was the site of the Blue Bird Café which burnt down in 1949.  

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design