James Russell ThomsonPrint Page
A glasshouse in the Botanic Gardens commemorates James Thomson who made the "Thomson Bequest" to Ballarat which saw the construction of the Statuary Pavilion in 1888 and statue of Sir William Wallace, the Scottish hero of the Battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297.
This Wallace statue was chosen as a tribute to Thomson's birthplace, and he was a Scottish miner who arrived on the diggings in 1852 and made his fortune from goldmining. At his death in 1886 he left 3,000 pounds for statues at the Gardens.
|Address:||Wendouree Parade, Botanic Gardens, Ballarat, 3350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.546664|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
To the memory of James Russell Thomson Born in Airdrie Scotland 24th May 1818, lived in Ballarat for 33 years and died 26th May 1886.
He bequeathed to the people of Ballarat the statuary now in this house and the figure of Wallace standing in the gardens. The works of art in this house were delivered to the Mayor of the city Mr. W. C. Smith on the 3rd Aug, 1888 and were unveiled by the Hon. Duncan Gillies Premier of Victoria.
The statue of Wallace was unveiled 24th May, 1889 by the Hon. John Nimmo and received for the city by the Mayor Mr J. G. McDonald