Brigadier J. L. G. Johnstone & Paul Lorimer JohnstonePrint Page
The Johnstone Building, originally the Johnstone Library, was opened on 11 August, 1973 and named in recognition of the service to The Armidale School (TAS) by the late Brigadier J L G Johnstone and his son, Paul Lorimer Johnstone.
Brigadier J L G Johnstone was treasurer of the Old Boys' Union from 1902 to 1909 and secretary from 1909-1943. He was president from 1943-1946 and in 1957 was elected as an honorary life vice-president. A solicitor in Armidale, he served on the School Council from 1947-1956.
Paul Lorimer Johnstone, also an Armidale solicitor, served on the School Council from 1958 to 1983 and for much of that time was honorary secretary and deputy chairman. He played a leading role in fund raising appeals during that time and was instrumental in establishing the TAS Foundation. He served as secretary and president of the Old Boys' Union and was awarded an MBE for his services to education.
|Address:||Douglas Street, The Armidale School , Armidale, 2350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.519722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 11th August, 1973|