www.monumentaustralia.org.au

B. C. NaylerPrint Page Print this page

B. C. Nayler : 24-August-2011
B. C. Nayler : 24-August-2011

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Gates at the Martin Street entrance to the Botanic Gardens commemorate B. C. Nayler who died in 1953. Mr Nayler, an electrical engineer, was the former managing director of the Hamilton Electric Supply. 

Mr. Bertie Charles Nayler whose death took place at Hamilton last week, aged 60 years, had been interested in electrical engineering from his early days, and his first position on leaving school in 1909 was with the old Hamilton Electric Supply. He later went to Melbourne to gain experience, and in 1912 came back to the Hamilton Electric Supply During his term , as managing director of this firm, his keen foresight kept him abreast of the ever increasing demands for electricity, and the Hamilton scheme became one the most efficient in the State. Under his direction during the two World Wars, and the period between, Hamilton never experienced, electricity rationing in any form. The Hamilton Electric Supply was purchased by the State Electricity Commission in 1946.  At the time of his death Mr. Nayler was consulting engineer for the Mount Gambler; Orbost, Portland, Dimboola and Warracknabeal electricity undertakings; and managing director of the Casterton Electric Supply Company. He was called in by the South Australian Government to act as arbitor when the Murray Bridge scheme was taken over by the Electricity Trust.

In addition to electrical engineering, Mr. Nayler had a wide sphere of business interests. In 1932, he was a foundation director of the Western Meadow Dairy 'Company, and acted in that capacity until he resigned in 1948. He also founded the Hamilton Refrigeration Company in 1926, and later sold his interest to the Hamilton Butter Factory. He was also a director of Neway Cash and Carry, and carried on until the firm was sold to G. J. Coles & Co. 
Portland Guardian, 20 July 1953. 

Location

Address:Thompson & Martin Streets, Hamilton Botanic Gardens, Hamilton, 3300
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.747174
Long: 142.025712
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Gates
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Front Inscription

These gates were erected to the memory of late B. C. Nayler

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design