Captain Benjamin DarleyPrint Page
Plaque erected by the parishioners in 1930 commemorates Captain Benjamin Darley who in 1864 gave the land on which the church is erected.
In 1864, Captain Benjamin Darley and his wife Katherine, the daughter of D'Arcy Wentworth, one of Manly's earliest and largest landholders, gave the Anglican Bishop of Sydney a 200 foot frontage on the Corso for a new church, parsonage and schoolhouse.
|Address:||The Corso & Darley Road, St Matthews Anglican Church, Manly, 2095|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.798333|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1930|
THIS TABLET WAS PLACED IN THIS CHURCH
BY THE PARISHIONERS IN SEPTEMBER 1930
IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF
CAPTAIN BENJAMIN DARLEY
WHO IN THE YEAR 1864
GENEROUSLY GAVE THE LAND ON WHICH IT STANDS