www.monumentaustralia.org.au

A. M. White Print Page Print this page

28-March-2015
28-March-2015

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers

The entrance to the showgrounds commemorates A.M.White, first President of the Shire. A rotunda was originally erected in 1917 by voluntary subscription and stood in the show ring. It was removed in 1938 after much controversy to form part of the entrance and gates were added to the structure prior to the 1939 show. 

Mr White was vice-president of the Tenterfield Show Society for many years and held the position of president for two years 1907-1908. He was also President of the Tenterfield Shire Council. Mr White was fatally injured while cleaning a revolver and died in 1915. 

The 40th annual show commenced on Tuesday under favorable circumstances, though easterly weather prevailed since Saturday. The attendance was exceptionally good, and larger entries than ever were received. Mr.Turnbull, of Armidale, judged in the ring. During the afternoon a massive rotunda in the ring served as a stand for the judge and stewards. This was erected to the memory of the late Mr. A. M. White, and was unveiled by Mr. W. H. Smith, the Shire President. 
Armidale Express and New England General Advertiser (NSW), 9th March 1917. 

Location

Address:Manners Street, Tenterfield Showground, Tenterfield, 2372
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.054981
Long: 152.015071
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Community

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 3rd March, 1917
Front Inscription
TO THE MEMORY OF A.M.WHITE
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design