Jim KatmadasPrint Page
A plaque, at the location of the former Delta Cafe, commemorates pioneer builder and property developer, Jim Katmadas.
When Katmadas opened the Delta Cafe in 1928, Dimitrios, who was known locally as Jim, was ridiculed by locals who couldn’t see the sense in having a cafe in such a remote area. He had no business during the first week. When Dimitrios finally made his first threepence, he nailed it above the entrance to the cafe. Today, although the threepence still remains, the cafe is now a storage area, having left the family’s hands in 1943. Demetrios Katmadas was involved in the development and growth of the Johnstone Shire Region between 1920 and 1938, having faith and confidence in the future of the area and used his pioneering spirit and tradesmanship to enhance the local amenities.
|Address:||Silkwood-Japoon Road, Footpath, outside former cafe & theatre, Silkwood, 4856|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.737043|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||January-2008|