Mrs T. C. AbrahamPrint Page
Gates commemorate Mrs T. C. Abraham, President of Queen Alexandra Home from 1913 to 1936.
In 1911 Hatherton ,which was owned by the Nicklin family, became the Queen Alexandra Children's Home. With gas for cooking and lighting, space to sleep 50 children, was close to public transport, beside the Coorparoo State school and acreage for growing food and keeping cows it was considered an excellent venture by the Methodist Church.
Growth in the number of children needing care resulted in the adding of another wing in 1919. This two-storey wing, stepped back a little from the original home also features lace balustrading and was named after the first President Mrs J.J. Kingsbury.
|Address:||Old Cleveland Road , Alexandra House, Coorparoo, 4151|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.493611|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1913|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1936|
THE ENTRANCE GATES TO THIS HOME WERE ERECTED AS A MEMORIAL TO MRS T.C.ABRAHAM