John KingPrint Page
A plaque commemorates John King, warden of the district.
A very large circle of friends will learn with regret of Mr John King of Glen Dhu, Ouse, for 20 years Warden of the Municipality of Hamilton. In 1870, on the death of Dr J F. Sharland, he was chosen Warden, and has held that office continuously for the last 20 years, having been elected annually by the unanimous vote of the Council. The confidence thus reposed in him was thoroughly justified. The performance of his magisterial duties was characterised by his common sense, firmness and courtesy; thorough independence, and strict impartiality, whilst his sound judgment and clear mind enabled him to give the Council wise and judicious advice on all matters bought under its consideration. It is not to much to say that under his able guidance the municipality of Hamilton has been one of the best conducted in the colony.
The Mercury (Hobart), 23rd June 1890.
|Address:||Bridge Hotel Road, St John the Baptist Church, Ouse, 7120|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.485111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||J. Gillon (Hobart, TAS)|
This tablet is placed here to the memory of the late John King.
By his friends in token of their sincere admiration of his public conduct as warden of this district, and their affectionate remembrance of his amiable character in private life.
J. Gillon, Hobart