James AppleyardPrint Page
Memorial over church commemorates Doctor James Appleyard who designed and planted much of the gardens in Longford. Dr Appleyard sought to have every tree mentioned in the Bible planted in Christ Church grounds.
A movement is on foot to erect a memorial of some kind in a prominent place, in acknowledgment of the self sacrificing labours of the late Dr. James Appleyard in improving the appearance of the township. Notably, in planting the grounds of the Anglican Church, the Catholic cemetery, and Victoria-square. Messrs. M. Mahon and Smale are collecting subscriptions for this object.
The Mercury (Hobart) 18th October 1898
|Address:||William Street, Christ Church Grounds, Longford, 7301|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.5946|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||Circa -1898|
In memoriam. James Appleyard M.R.C & J.P.
To whose taste and energy Longford is indebted for the laying out and planting of these grounds which are one of its chief ornaments. This monument is erected by his friends as a mark of their esteem and regards.
Obiit 7. August 1889. Aged 51
This plaque commemorates the renovation of the grounds by the Rotary Club of Longford
A. D. 1970