Bennett Memorial Print Page
The Bennett Memorial commemorates the worldwide centenary of Rotary in 2005. To mark this occasion, Enfield Rotary in conjunction with the City of Port Adelaide Enfield developed an existing site at the Bennett Reserve, Manningham, as a lasting monument to the work of Rotary.
The reserve was handed over to Council by Dr Alfred Henry Bennett, and the cremated remains of both Dr Bennett and his wife Florence Birkinshaw are situated beneath memorial.
Dr Bennett, an ear, eye and throat specialist trained in Aberdeen , London & Vienna and practiced at Kapunda and Crystal Brook before moving to Adelaide. In 1905 he purchased land for the purpose of horse stabling and agistment. His wife died in 1907 and in 1926 he set aside three acres of land to be developed as a playground recreational park and also to provide homes for indigent professional persons who were former employees and their female dependants. In 1926 he held a dispersal sale of his horse and used the 3000 pounds as part of the endowment fund for the reserve.
In his legacy, Dr Bennett merely set out guidelines and left it to the Chairman of the Town Planning association to provide more detailed plans which included planting of trees and shrubs and the provision of a drinking fountain for practical purposes and as a memorial to the donor whose ashes along with his wife's were placed beneath the fountain.
|Address:||Ways Road & Bennett Avenue, Bennett Memorial Reserve, Manningham, 5086|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.880086|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1905|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2005|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2005|