Doctor John BainPrint Page
Rotunda erected to the memory of Dr John Bain who settled in Clare in 1865. He donated land for the local institute and provided a swimming pool/skating rink for the local people`s use. In 1904 the citizens of Clare erected the Bain Rotunda in memory of the doctor sometimes referred to as “England’s greatest gift to Clare”.
Soon after the demise of Dr. J. W. D. Bain a meeting of residents of this town was held to consider the best mains of perpetuating the memory of one who was a great benefactor to the town. It was decided to erect a rotunda, to be called the Bain Rotunda, on a suitable place on the Clare Recreation Ground. The Mayor (Mr.W. Kelly), Messrs James Hill , T.P. Gillen, G. J. Harmer. W. Kimber, M. Paetke, P. McDougal. S. Williams, and G. Bryant, with Mr. G. T. Harder (secretary), were entrusted as a committee with the collecting of funds and other necessary arrangements. It was decided to erect a rotunda after the plans of one at Broken Hill. Mr. J. B. Scott, a local tradesman, secured the contract, and has completed the work to the satisfaction of Messrs. C. H. Beaumont and S. Williams, the works committee.
The Register (Adelaide), 18 April 1904.
|Address:||Main North Road, Park above Clare Oval , Clare, 5453|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.837764|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr J.B. Scott|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||March-1904|
THE BAIN ROTUNDA ERECTED AS A TRIBUTE OF SINCERE RESPECT TO THE MEMORY OF JOHN W.D. BAIN: M.R.C.S. L.S.A MARCH 1904