Charles William WilsonPrint Page
Memorial erected by public subscription in memory of Charles William Wilson. a prominent townsman. The memorial was unveiled by the Reverend Chambers on the 16th July 1902. The Argus (Melbourne) 18th July 1902.
Charles William Wilson was the first European child born at Whroo. He came to Tatura in 1879 to open a branch of J W Mason's butchery and served his community tirelessly for over 20 years before his premature death on the 19th April 1901.
He was a member of the Rodney Council from 1887 to 1891 and 1894 to 1901 and President twice. He served on the Rodney Irrigation Trust from 1889 until 1901 and was chairman in 1894. He was also a president of the Mooroopna Hospital, trustee of the racecourse, Mechanic's Institute, public gardens and recreation reserve, Australian Native's Association, Fire Brigade, Band, Presbyterian Church and Secretary of the Cemetery Trust.
|Address:||Hogan Street & Flanagan Place, , Tatura, 3616|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.440322|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Messrs A.G.Ballantyne (Melbourne)|
This monument is erected to perpetuate the memory of Charles William Wilson J.P. who won the admiration of the community by the rare integrity of his character. By the warmth and breadth of his human sympathies, and by his valuable and disinterested services in numerous capacities as a public man.
Born 1855. Died 1901.