Lady Janet Clarke Print Page
Memorial Grecian rotunda commemorates Lady Janet Clarke. She was particularly supportive of educational causes - helping to establish the College of Domestic Economy (later the Emily Macpheron College) and the Melbourne Church of England Girls Grammar School.
In 1889 she donated £5,000 pounds toward the building of the Hostel for Women University Students at Trinity College (University of Melbourne). This hostel provided the first separate residential accommodation for women students and was later greatly expanded and renamed Janet Clarke Hall.
Clarke also holds a special place in the history of cricket, due to her role in establishing the Ashes Test series. In 1882 Ivo Bligh led a team from England to play three tests in Australia. The team spent Christmas at the Clarke property, Rupertswood, in Sunbury. After losing a social game to the English team, Lady Clarke apparently presented Bligh with a small urn containing the burnt ashes of the stumps and announced that she would like it to be a perpetual trophy between the two teams. The urn was donated to the MCC in 1927.
Lady Clarke died in 1909, and upon her death a memorial fund was established. Herbert Black’s design for a Grecian-style, white marble rotunda won the public competition
|Address:||St Kilda Road, Queen Victoria Gardens, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.822324|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Herbert Black|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 24th September, 1913|
This building erected by the public of Victoria as a tribute to the memory of a high example of benefice and public spirit, Lady Janet Clarke, was committed to the perpetual care of the City Corporation of Melbourne by subscribers September 24th 1913