www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Ballarat Water Commission Centenary Print Page Print this page

Water Supply Centenary
Water Supply Centenary

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Plaque which was originally on a fountain which was presented to the people of Ballarat by the the Ballarat Water Commision to commemorate their centenary in 1980. It also marks the site from which the first piped water supply to Ballarat was taken in 1858.

In 1880 by an Act of Parliament Ballarat Water Commissioners constituted comprising seven members, three appointed by government and two from each council (Chairman J Noble Wilson, Secretary and Treasurer JB Cathcart, Engineer CH Bagge).

In 1858 the first water supply was piped from the Yuille`s swamp (Lake Wendouree).  Pipes were laid from the location where Wendouree Parade and Webster Street meet (at rockery), to Sturt Street, near Lydiard Street.  The first piped water was available in December 1858. 

Location

State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.652691
Long: 143.926485
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:State

Dedication

Front Inscription

This Plaque Was Unveiled On The 20th July 1980 By
HIS EXCELLENCY THE HON. SIR HENRY WINNEKE,
K.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., O,B,E,, K. St.J., O.C.,
GOVERNOR OF VICTORIA 
On The Occasion Of The Presentation Of This Fountain To
The People Of Ballarat By
THE BALLARAT WATER COMMISSIONERS

To Commemorate Their Centenary & To Mark The Site From
Which The First Piped Water Supply To Ballarat Was Taken In
December 1858
Commissioner J.H. Heinz     Councillor J.F. McKay J.P.    
Chairman. The Ballarat Water Commissioners   Mayor City Of Ballaarat
The Ballarat Water Commisioners 
[Names]
Secretary Treasurer      Engineer -In-Chief
B.E. Leach                     A.S. Howard    

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design