William Spurling ThompsonPrint Page
A cairn commemorates an early administrator of the Island, William Spurling Thompson.
The formation of the new 'Board of Control' for Lord Howe island was notified in the Government Gazette of February, 1913. The chairman was the undersecretary of the Chief Secretary's Department, and the other two members were connected with the Department of Agriculture. The new Board was strictly Sydney-based, carrying out most of its deliberations on the mainland. Islanders were given a surprising amount of freedom to manage their own affairs under the Board's watchful but distant eye.
A three-man local committee was established to advise the Board on all matters connected with the Island, and to carry out policy decisions arising from the Board's deliberations. All positions on the Local Advisory Committee were held in an honorary capacity by Islanders. The Chairman of the Committee, W.S. Thompson ('Uncle Willie'), was the permanently appointed chairman, who gave 41 years of unstinting service to the local community.
|Address:||Lagoon Road, Signal Point, Lord Howe Island, 2898|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.524707|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Dedicated to William Spurling Thompson 1868 - 1953.
Early Administrator and Permanent Chairman Of the Island Committee 1903-1953.
He lived his lifetime on the island and was the forefather of conservation.