William ButlerPrint Page
A clock commemorates William Butler, often known as the "father of Kilcoy". He arrived in Sydney in February 1854 and began handling stock at Rannes Station near Gladstone. Over many years he managed stations in various parts of Australia.
In Kilcoy, he was a member of the first Roads Board, and served as a justice of the peace
Monument characteristics :
A greenstone monument with a granite base and four clock dials. The mechanism of the clock was controlled by a master clock in the Shire Council Chambers.
On Sunday afternoon, (Oct. 12) the clock memorial, erected by the residents of Kilcoy district to the memory of the late Mr. William Butler, who was generally looked upon as the rather of Kilcoy, was unveiled in the presence of very representative gathering, including all the available members of the Butler family.
Chronicle and North Coast Advertiser (Qld), 24 October 1919.
|Address:||William Street, Roundabout, Kilcoy, 4515|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.943081|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||A. L. Petrie (Toowong, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 12th October, 1919|
"To Tell Of A Man Who Loved His Fellow,
And Whose Fellowman Loved Him."
To The Memory Of
(Kilcoy's grand old man)
Born 11th Nov. 1831,
Died 6th June 1917.