Dr. Margaret MitchellPrint Page
Community garden in Richmond named in honour of Tasmania's first female Councillor in a rural Council, the late Dr Margaret Helen Mitchell. Dr Mitchell was instrumental in protecting the built heritage of Richmond in the 1960s, preserving the village to make it the tourist icon it is today.
The garden is landscaped with plants endemic to the Coal River Valley and the southern Tasmanian region, and features a boule court and giant chess board for community use. It also includes a pavilion containing panels with information on the history of the valley and its flora and fauna, including the Ramsar wetland at the mouth of the Coal River. The garden's construction was funded by the Tasmanian Community Fund, Clarence City Council and through in-kind and cash donations from the local community.
|Address:||Forth Street, Richmond, 7025|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.736263|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2010|
This community garden was opened in 2010 to honour the memory of Dr Margaret Helen Mitchell
1928 - 1975
and bears her name