Kate RichardsonPrint Page
A plaque and hymn board commemorate Kate Richardson who was organist at the church for 44 years.
Kate Richardson was born on 9th June 1866, the youngest daughter of Dr James and Agnes RIchardson of 'The Grove, George Town. She was given a good education and displayed considerable musical talent as a pianist and organist. Her musicianship won her the position as organist of the Paterson Street Methodist Church in 1891. In 1897 she accepted an appointment at Holy Trinity Church and continued as organist there for the next forty-four years. She resided in Elphin Road.
During the years of World War One, Kate was in much demand as an entertainer and worker for charitable causes. She was a member of the Muffs Amateur Dramatic Society, and was their pianist for many years. She also took an active part in concerts and fundraising activities on behalf of the Launceston Church Grammar School. A few months after she retired from Holy Trinity in 1941 Kate died.
Miss Kate Richardson, a well-known Launceston musician, died at a private hospital yesterday, after a short illness. For 42 years the late Miss Richardson had been organist at Holy Trinity Church, Launceston, and she retired only a few months ago. She was organist at Paterson Street Methodist Church before commencing at Holy Trinity.
Miss Richardson was born at George Town, and came to Launceston over half a century ago. During the last war she was a prominent war worker, and for years has been the organiser of many functions to raise funds for the Launceston Church Grammar School. She was a member of the defunct Muffs Amateur Dramatic Society, and was widely known throughout the North as a pianist, as well as an organist.
Examiner (Launceston), 15th December 1941.
|Address:||34 Cameron Street, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Launceston, 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.43447|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
In memory of Kate Richardson
organist at this church for 44 years
Died December 14th 1941