www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Sir Charles Kingsford-SmithPrint Page Print this page

Southern Cross
Southern Cross

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson / Bill Goodey

The preserved aeroplane, the "Southern Cross" is a memorial to the aviator, Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith.

Sir Charles Edward Kingsford-Smith MC, AFC  often called Charles Kingsford-Smith, or by his nickname Smithy, was a well-known early Australian aviator. In 1928, he made the first trans-Pacific flight from the United States to Australia. He also made the first non-stop crossing of the Australian mainland, the first flights between Australia and New Zealand, and the first eastward Pacific crossing from Australia to the United States. He also made a flight from Australia to London, and set a new record of 10.5 days.

In brilliant sunshine 3,000 people yesterday watched the Federal Treasurer, Sir Arthur -Fadden, unveil a gleaming glass and aluminium memorial to aviator Sir Charles Kingsford Smith. Enshrined in the £31,000 memorial, built at the gateway to Brisbane airport is the Southern Cross, Smithy's Fokker monoplane, which he flew on his epic trans pacific flight 30 years ago. The unveiling took place only 300 yds. from the spot where Kingsford Smith and his three crew members, co-pilot Charles Ulm, navigator Harry Lyon and radio-operator James Warner, touched down at Eagle Farm on June 9, 1928. They made their crossing from Oakland, California, in 83½ hours. Crowds to-day lined the barriers four deep, and 500 official guests, including Lyon and Warner, saw Sir Arthur open the memorial.
The Canberra Times (ACT), 18 August 1958.

Location

Address:Airport Drive, Brisbane Airport , 4007
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.399444
Long: 153.108611
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Aviation
Monument Designer:Guy Crick Lewis & Williams Hon. Architects R J.McWilliam Consulting Engineer Messrs. Hutcherson & Newton Contractors

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 17th August, 1958
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design