Sir Alfred LanglerPrint Page
Gilded mosaic commissioned in memory of journalist Sir Alfred Langler, administrator of the Hackett estate.
In July 1895 Langler moved to Perth to become sub-editor on the enlarged West Australian. When J. L. Nanson, the assistant editor and leader-writer resigned in 1902, Langler, by then the paper's 'sheet anchor', replaced him. John Winthrop Hackett, the editor, became Langler's friend and confidant. The deaths of Hackett in 1916, and of Hackett's executor G. H. Wickham in 1917 resulted in all responsibility devolving upon Langler as sole executor, editor and chairman of directors of the small limited liability company.
Langler drove himself and his staff to fulfil Hackett's ambition to endow the University of Western Australia.
|Address:||Stirling Highway, University of WA, Winthrop Hall, Crawley, 6009|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.975894|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Walter Napier|