J. F. ArchibaldPrint Page
The monument consists of a quarry faced stone base with a bronze plaque and commemorates the birthplace of J.F.Archibald the founder of "The Bulletin" . This monument, unlike the Archibald Fountain in Sydney, the Archibald Prize for portrait painting and The Australian Journalists Association Benevolent Fund was not built as a result of bequests in Archibald`s will, but by subscription under the auspices of the Australian Journalists Association.
Jules François Archibald, known as J. F. Archibald, (14 January 1856 – 10 September 1919 ), Australian journalist and publisher, was co-owner and editor of The Bulletin during the days of its greatest influence in Australian politics and literary life. He was also the founder of the Archibald Prize art award.
Archibald arrived in Sydney in 1878, where he formed a partnership with John Haynes and William McLeod and on 31 January 1880 they launched The Bulletin as a weekly paper of political, business and literary news. William Henry Traill became a partner in 1882, and the following year Archibald left for two years in London. When he returned in 1886, the magazine was struggling, and Archibald bought out the other partners.
Under Archibald's sole control, and with A. G. Stephens as his literary editor, The Bulletin became Australia's leading outlet for poets, cartoonists, short-stories and comic writers.
|Address:||Church Street & Weddell Road, West Oval, North Geelong, 3218|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.13128|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1960|
THIS MEMORIAL MARKS THE SITE
OF THE BIRTH PLACE OF
JULES FELTHAM (FRANCOIS) ARCHIBALD
(JANUARY 14, 1856 - SEPTEMBER 10, 1919)
FAMOUS JOURNALIST AND EDITOR
AND GENEROUS FRIEND OF
AUSTRALIAN WRITERS AND ARTISTS.
ERECTED BY THE
AUSTRALIAN JOURNALIST’S ASSOCIATION