Henry Lawson (Bicentennial Fountain)Print Page
The fountain was erected by the Mudgee Shire Council to commemorate the Captain Cook Bicentenary in 1970 and Henry Lawson. The fountain is no longer functional and the plaque which was attached to a wall enclosing a garden is now missing.
Henry Lawson (17 June 1867 – 2 September 1922) was an Australian writer and poet. Along with his contemporary Banjo Paterson, Lawson is among the best-known Australian poets and fiction writers of the colonial period, and is often called Australia's "greatest writer".
Although Henry was born at the Grenfell goldfields, he was raised, from the age of six months to 15 years, in a cottage 8 km north of Mudgee at Eurunderee (then known as 'Pipeclay'), which was established after a gold find in 1863. He briefly attended the local Catholic school.
|Address:||Market Street, Robertson Park, Mudgee, 2850|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.591031|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1970|