Henry LawsonPrint Page
Statue of writer and poet, Henry Lawson, who lived in Gulgong as a child.
Henry Lawson’s parents brought him to the Gulgong area when he was an infant, and he spent his childhood and early teens in locations between Gulgong and Mudgee. Henry Lawson, lived at Gulgong as a young boy (1871-72) as his family pursued the prospect of quick money from Grenfell to Eurunderee to Gulgong. Several of his stories are set at Gulgong, although the references are not flattering.
In `Water Them Geraniums` post-goldrush Gulgong is described as `a wretched remnant of a town on an abandoned goldfield`. In `Brighten`s Sister-in-Law` it is `dreary and dismal`. Henry Lawson remains probably the best known of Australian writers. His poetry and prose are still widely quoted. Most of his works are in print.
|Address:||Medley & Fisher Streets, Theresa Lane Park , Gulgong, 2852|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.367822|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Margaret Sherman|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 11th June, 1994|
1867 - 1922
This Statue Was Erected By
The Henry Lawson Society Of NSW
And Was Unveiled By
THE HON. STEPHEN B. MUTCH
M.A., LL.B., M.L.C.
On 11th June, 1994.
Sculptor - Margaret Sherman