Henry LawsonPrint Page
Henry Lawson Park, formerly known as Buckingham’s Reserve, was dedicated on September 3rd, 1938 in honour of Henry Lawson. Three trees were planted by the Henry Lawson Literary Society by the poet`s widow, Bertha Lawson and Dame Mary Gilmore at the dedication ceremony.
Henry Lawson lived in Abbotsford for a short time before his death and died in a house in Great North Road opposite Abbotsford Public School in 1922.
Henry Lawson (17 June 1867 – 2 September 1922) was an Australian writer and poet. Along with his contemporary Banjo Paterson, Lawson is among the best-known Australian poets and fiction writers of the colonial period, and is often called Australia's "greatest writer".
The Henry Lawson Reserve, on the foreshores of the Parramatta Rivet at Abbotsford, was officially dedicated to the memory of the Australian poet, Henry Lawson, on Saturday afternoon by the Mayor of Drummoyne, Alderman J. Henley. The Henry Lawson Literary Society, instead of making its annual pilgrimage to the grave or statue of Lawson, accepted the invitation of the Drummoyne Municipal Council to attend the dedication ceremony, and assisted Mrs. Lawson and other prominent persons in planting trees on the reserve.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 5 September 1938.
|Address:||St Albans Street, Henry Lawson Park, Abbotsford, 2046|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.85|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 3rd September, 1938|