Lange PowellPrint Page
Triptych, reredos and other chapel fittings were created as a coordinated memorial to the architect Lange Powell (1886-1938).
Powell was interested in interior decoration and designed a Gothic carved-stone reredos in Holy Trinity Church, Fortitude Valley, dedicated on 10 November 1929. He designed the altar and triptych (painted by W. Bustard) for the Lady Chapel of St John's Cathedral, eventually erected in his memory by his friend Dr Robert Graham Brown and dedicated on 4 August 1940, and other interior decorations of the cathedral.
A triptych in memory of the late Mr. Lange L. Powell, who was for many years advisory architect to St. John's Cathedral, will be unveiled in the Chapel of the Holy Innocents, in the Cathedral, on August 4, by the Governor (Sir Leslie Wilson). Presented by Dr. Graham Brown, and decorated by Mr. W. Bustard, the triptych comprised nine panel pictures taken from the life of the Virgin Mary The panels are in sets of three, and are designed so that they can be closed during Lent. There will be a memorial inscription underneath. The triptych was originally designed by Mr. Powell himself.
The Courier-Mail (Brisbane), 13 July 1940.
|Address:||373 Ann Street , St John`s Cathedral, Brisbane, 4000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.463707|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Type:||Religious Object|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 4th August, 1940|