www.monumentaustralia.org.au

John K. ShirleyPrint Page Print this page

12-September-2014
12-September-2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams
Plaque dedicated in memory of John K. Shirley, architect, an Old Boy of the School who died in 1951. The plaque was originally attached to a sundial which is no longer at the location. 

The death occurred suddenly on December 29, 1951, at the early age of 53 of John K. Shirley, well-known Sydney architect. He received his early education at Mowbray House School, Chatswood and subsequently at "Shore," and selecting architecture as his profession, was articled to Kent & Budden, subsequently going to America and taking a course at Pennsylvania University which he completed in 1922. In 1927 he entered into partnership with Carlyle Greenwell, an association which continued until 1935. After the war, during part of which he was associated with the Department of Labour and National Service, he started in practice on his own and in 1949 took Mr. A. B. Colvin into partnership, having built up a good practice in industrial and scholastic work. He was one of the architects to the Church of England Grammar School, North Sydney, and prior to the war constructed classrooms and laboratories and carried out extensive remodelling. At the time of his death he was engaged upon the drawings for the projected new Assembly Hall for this school.
Construction (Sydney, NSW ), 9 January 1952.

Location

Address:Blue Street, Church of England Grammar School (Shore), North Sydney, 2060
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.840239
Long: 151.204349
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:People
Sub-Theme:Architecture

Dedication

Front Inscription

       THIS SUNDIAL
       IS IN MEMORY 
               OF 

JOHN K SHIRLEY
     OLD BOY OF THIS
          SCHOOL 

ARCHITECT : 1933 -1951

 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design