Centenary of Broken HillPrint Page
A time capsule commemorates the centenary of the settlement of Broken Hill.
Broken Hill was founded in 1883 by boundary rider Charles Rasp who patrolled the Mount Gipps fences. In 1883 he discovered what he thought was tin, but the samples proved to be silver and lead. The ore body they came from became the largest and richest of its kind in the world. The Broken Hill Proprietary Company (BHP) (later BHP Billiton) was founded by the Syndicate of Seven to mine the ore body of Broken Hill in 1885. By 1915 BHP realised its ore reserves were limited and began to diversify into steel production and on 28 February 1939 mining at the BHP mines at Broken Hill had ceased.
|Address:||Sulphide & Blende Streets, Broken Hill, 2880|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.958353|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||10-December-1883|
|Actual Event End Date:||10-December-1983|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 10th December, 1983|
On December 10, 1983
The Centenary Year Of The City Of Broken Hill,
A Time Capsule Containing Documents
Concerning Life In The Silver City
Was Buried Below This Rock By
Members Of The Broken Hill
Community Youth Support Scheme.
The Capsule Is To Be Opened On December 10, 2083
Which Will Be The City's Bicentenary Year.