Mudgeeraba Early Pioneers Print Page Print this page

Mudgeeraba Early Pioneers / March 2013
Mudgeeraba Early Pioneers / March 2013

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

Sculpture dedicated to early settlers of the Mudgeeraba industry who worked in the logging industry.

In 1856, William Duckett White, a squatter from Beaudesert, leased a cattle run called Murry Jerry from the NSW Government. (Queensland was administered by the NSW Government until separation in 1859). Part of the 25 square miles of this cattle run included the town we know now as Mudgeeraba.

In 1868, Murry Jerry land was opened up for free selection many of the early selectors of the area were timber getters, saw millers and eventually dairy farmers.


Address:Railway Street, The Village Green , Mudgeeraba, 4213
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.078651
Long: 153.364948
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Landscape
Monument Designer:Arno Schilling


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 26th January, 2009
Front Inscription


This sculpture is dedicated to the early settlers of the Mudgeeraba region who worked in the logging industry felling the giant trees of the area with axes and crossbow saws.

The 1840s saw the beginnings of the timber industry in the local mountains and led to the Mudgeeraba area being opened for permanent settlement in the 1860’s. Many sawmills were established at this time, and while it was common for timber to be floated downstream or transported by bullock teams, it was decided in 1924 by the owners of the Neranwood Mill to build what in many ways was a unique private rail line.

Two small locomotives “Kathleen” and “Alison” pulled carriages carrying sawn timber along the two foot gauge line running from Neranwood Mill through the area between Mt Nimmel and Talai Mountain, over a creek crossing near the present Berrigans Road and through the two cuttings in Railway Street to the Mudgeeraba rail siding. The timber was then transferred to the State rail line which ran along the same route as the Brisbane to Coolangatta motorway takes today.

            Unveiled 26th January, 2009 by Cr Ted Shepherd Division 9 GCCC
 Gifted to the Mudgeeraba community by the Old Post Office
Heritage Centre Society, The Mudgeeraba Foundation
              Trust Fund, and the Gold Coast City Council
OPOHCS                         TMFPCTF                       GCCC     
 (names)                           (name)                         (name)  
                                                       Sculptor Arno Schilling


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design