Henty`s HutPrint Page
A monument commemorates the site of Stephen Henty`s hut which was the first settlement in the district.
In 1918 members of the Old Resident’s Association decided to mark the location of one of the first huts in the area built by white men. W.S. Henty, a grandson of SG Henty, laid the commemoration stone over the original fireplace of the hut in January 1918. In 1939, during the centenary of Henty’s arrival, it was suggested that a more permanent memorial mark the site. In 1940 this six metre high obelisk was erected above a cairn of dolomite, set over the foundations of the original marker. On Arbor Day in June 1940 the unveiling was conducted before a large crowd including school children, who had assembled to plant trees for that special day.
A start has been made with the erection of the Henty Memorial at the Valley Lake. Messrs. A. E. Knight and J. Lock have under taken to carry out the work, and Mr. John Fletcher, M.P.. is giving sufficient red dolomite for the base of the monument. The structure will be about five yards south of the tablet which was erected in 1918 by the Old Residents' Association. This tablet, together with the stone of the old hut will be left intact.
The Narracoorte Herald (SA), 27 June 1939.
|Address:||Davison Drive , Valley Lake , Mount Gambier, 5290|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.840333|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Commemorates the site of Henty`s Hut
First settlement in district.