"Nexus" Print Page
A stone and water sculpture marks Plateia Hellas (Plateia meaning town square and Hellas being the Ancient Greek name for Greece), an area between Aberdeen and Newcastle Streets that was designed to acknowledge and celebrate the Greek community in Northbridge.
Around the time of World War One, as the elite began to move out of the area, Northbridge became a hub of European immigration, especially Greek and Macedonian. In the 1950s, post-war European migration brought with it a culture of outdoor coffees and al-fresco lifestyle.
The first Greek Church, the Greek Orthodox Church of Saints Constantine and Helene, was built in 1937 in what is now known as Northbridge. It soon became an integral part of the Greek community and a well known landmark within Perth.
|Address:||Lake Street, Between Aberdeen & Newcastle Streets, Northbridge, 6003|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.945611|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Simon Gauntlet|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2002|