Moranghurk Estate Soldier SettlersPrint Page
Memorial plaque commemorates the 26 Soldier Settlers who settled on the Moranghurk Estate in 1953. Moranghurk Estate is south of Meredith.
Moranghurk Homestead is one of the oldest pastoral properties in Victoria, having first been settled in 1840 by Scottish squatters Dugald McPherson and William Taylor. Moranghurk’s position as a substantial sheep station came to an end in the 1950s with the compulsory acquisition of a substantial portion of the property (11,770 of the 18,807 acres) by the Soldier Settlement Commission. The remaining property was stripped back to 2,183 acres in 1953 and this was sold to the Soldier Settlement Commission in 1954.
|Address:||3320 Midland Highway, Moranghurk, Lethbridge, 3332|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.924795|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Meredith History Interest Group|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 15th September, 2013|
Moranghurk Soldier Settlers
THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES THE ESTABLISHMENT OF
THE MORNAGHURK SOLDIER SETTLEMENT ESTATE FOR
RETURNED SOLDIERS FROM WORLD WAR 2
(Map of Estate)
PARISHES OF COOLEBANGHURK, BAMGANIE & BURTWARRAH
COUNTY OF GRANT
ESTATE OWNER : J.L.MATHESON
APPROX SIZE 19136 ACRES
(List of Settlers)
PLAQUE ERECTED BY MEREDITH HISTORY INTERST GROUP Inc.
PLAQUE UNVEILED 15.09.2013
FUNDED BY : DEPARTMENT OF VETERAN AFFAIRS.